Monday, March 14, 2016

On the Juke: The 1975 - "I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it"

Released  February 26, 2016, The 1975 brought it again with their album, "I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it". I personally can't get enough of it; I find myself picking a favorite and then moving on to the next song and thinking, "Oh, no. Wait. No. This one's so good though." But, if I had to pick a favorite for right now it would have to be "The Ballad of Me and My Brain." It's on repeat. On excessive repeat. I hope I don't tire of it.

I'm in a course at Biola called Vision, Voice. and Practice which is a collaborative class between Art and Writing students. It has two professors, one art and one writing, teaching the class. At the beginning of the semester each student picks a particular week where they present their "Song of the Day." Tomorrow, March 15, is my day. And, guess what I just picked and am so stoked about? Yeah. Exactly.

"The Ballad of Me and My Brain" encompasses, I believe, a certain feeling many artists get once in a while, or even maybe for a long while. The feeling that, "I'm completely mad", "I've completely lost my brain", "Did I even have a brain at all?" etc. It's that writers block, low place where you try to force creativity, but nothing comes. You search and search for some sort of genius, don't find it, and resort to a depressive state of, "I'm not meant to be a creator. I make trash. What am I doing? I should change my life course. I should just do something practical. Blah, blah blah."

But I love Matt's last line; it seems to recollect where his creativity comes from; where each story, each song, stems. It releases the urge to force beauty out of a brain, and allows the heart and the soul to work instead.

Forget my brain. Remember my pain.

I suggest you go and give this album a listen. Or two listens. How about a few listens. Just listen? Go on. Give it a go. You won't regret it.

Bless up,

Olivia



Photo courtesy of The 1975 : http://the1975.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment